Sunday, April 17, 2016

Photography Equipment - Purchasing Options

Although I try to make sure to support local business whenever I purchase new equipment the savings that can be realized by purchasing equipment online is sometimes to much to ignore.  However, before I provide details on my favourite places to purchase things online I feel it necessary to highlight the local shops where I look first.  So, in no particular order, here are the camera stores that I frequently visit in the Vancouver lower mainland:


  1. Kerrisdale Cameras - Coquitlam Centre Mall location.  Great staff with lots of photography experience.  Ask for Doug if you want to be entertained :-)
  2. Leo's Camera - Probably has the best selection, but also tends to be more expensive. 
  3. Photo Expert - Pretty good selection and always willing to negotiate on price.  Be sure to ask for Dave.
Ok, now for the few online photography sites that I have had great experience with in the past.  Again, in no particular order:
  1. Adorama - Incredible selection, prices are reasonable and normally ships pretty quickly
  2. BH Photo - Very comparable to Adorama.
  3. Amvona - Really only an inexpensive option for purchasing lighting equipment, and a good place to go if you really have a tight budget.  Otherwise, stick with Adorama or BH Photo and purchase slightly higher end gear.
I should note that I have had a lot of luck getting great gear at reasonable prices from the local shops, and make it a point to purchase from the local shops whenever I have concerns with getting warranty work done.

Hope this info is useful.  Happy shopping.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment